Section 2C.29 SPEED HUMP Sign
- The SPEED HUMP (W17-1) sign should be used to give warning of a vertical deflection in the roadway that is designed to limit the speed of traffic.
- If used, the SPEED HUMP sign should be supplemented by an Advisory Speed plaque.
- If a series of speed humps exists in close proximity, an Advisory Speed plaque may be eliminated on all but the first SPEED HUMP sign in the series.
- The legend SPEED BUMP may be used instead of the legend SPEED HUMP on the W17-1 sign.
- Speed humps generally provide more gradual vertical deflection than speed bumps. Speed bumps limit the speed of traffic more severely than speed humps. Other forms of speed humps include speed tables and raised intersections. However, these differences in engineering terminology are not well known by the public, so for signing purposes these terms are interchangeable.
Source: 2009 MUTCD